Arkansas rice farmers produce 9 billion pounds of rice a year—nearly half of all the rice grown in the US!
Rice is the most important food crop of the developing world, but it also holds a place of honor on American dinner tables. Arkansas’ official state grain is gluten-free, rich in nutrients, and an excellent complex carbohydrate. It’s lighter than wheat, which makes it a perfect summer staple when you need the fast energy of carbs but can’t afford to feel too full to move.
There are a seemingly infinite supply of great rice recipes on the internet, but since searching through recipes can be overwhelming—particularly when you’re hungry and need to make something to eat NOW—we’ve collected ten great options for you.
10 Rice Dishes Perfect for Summer
- This refreshing summer salad uses rice as a base for summer veggies, such as cucumber and tomato, includes feta for a dash of protein, and is finished with a bit of citrus for sweet and tang. It’s a light meal on its own and an excellent side dish for lamb or chicken.
- When you’re looking for a rice recipe, sometimes it’s best to go straight to the source! Riceland’s brown rice with cumin and lime vinaigrette would be a great side dish for any summer cookout or picnic.
- Here’s a light but warm veggie rice side dish, using summer squash and cherry tomatoes. It pairs perfectly with seafood – preferably fresh from the Gulf!
- This recipe for shrimp and pesto rice salad makes great use of the enthusiastic summer output from your basil plant and serves as a complete meal on its own. If you’re allergic to shellfish, substitute chicken or tofu for the shrimp.
- Speaking of chicken—another Arkansas agricultural rock star—here’s a yummy version of chicken fried rice! No takeout needed!
- Time to sweeten things up? Try this recipe for salted caramel rice pudding.
- This unique salad pairs rice with fruit and yogurt for a tart-n-sweet treat.
- Here’s a corn and rice combo that’s perfect for a summer barbecue.
- Risotto adds a fun texture in this rice ice cream.
- To finish our list off, this sweet recipe for chocolate rice pie won first place in Arkansas Farm Bureau’s Rice Cooking Cooking Competition at the 2018 Arkansas State Fair and Livestock Show.